Friends Feature Friday

What a cold & frosty morning it is today I am sitting at my desk with my scarf wrapped around my neck brrrrrrrrr!!! I am very tired this morning (& cold) I had another Christmas shopping fair last night running a stall with my boutique items, the Christmas bits are selling like hot cakes. I have some gorgeous handmade items from Figgy Pudding Santa sacks, egg & tea cosies to gorgeous lanterns & candles if you havnt taken a peek at the finishingtouchinteriorsboutique yet, please do. xx

Well its that day of the week again when one of my wonderfully talented blog friends pops in to share thier talents with you. Today we have the very lovely Tracie from .fishtailcottage.& she is going to take us on a tour of her beautiful garden.....




This is what the front & back truly looks like right now! You can't see it
but there is frost on the ground today.



So it's not all rosy here at the Fishtail Cottage! I can assure you!!! Many
of you posted last week about having garden envy!!! I can be honest and tell
you much of my gardening skills are no better than yours. It's a mission of
trial and error! I search magazines and stock neighborhood gardens to see
what kind of plant envy I have.once I know what plant I am interested in, I
research - computers do wonders with loads of information. Questions I ask -
Does this plant grow in my zone?. is it invasive? Will it reseed?

Sometimes I cannot figure it out by looks alone, so I've been known to take
a clipping from a garden when I can't figure it out (most of the time with
permission of course). I'll take the clipping into my local
nursery.preferably  <http://molbaksplantfarm.com/> Molbacks to identify the
plant. I'm on first name basis with some of the master gardeners there!

Many times, I purchase a garden bush/plant/tree and get into the garden. I
usually will baby newer plants for the first year.making sure there is
enough water, fertilizer & good compost to help it develop. But sometimes my
green thumb isn't so green.

I love to turn to gardening books and magazines & these are the three I
picked up recently! I encourage you to find these too in your local grocery
store & browse through the pages.the "Flea Market Gardens" is one I've never
seen before and really enjoyed what are inside these pages!


Below - I've taken a few pictures to show you the reality of my garden! I
will leave all of these till end of March to make sure there is no hope
before I remove them!

Here is a Winchester Cathedral Rose that began dying for no apparent reason.
In fat I have a whole row of these on a slope the ones next to it are doing
just fine..but this one - not coming back this year.



This heirloom rose SOUVENIR de la MALMAISON isn't coming back either - I
moved it when I did some late summer re-arranging & it's as black as can be!





A huge loss is this the 25 Viburnum tinus "spring bouquet".second year I've
planted because the first year they died back. They are supposed to be an
evergreen here in the Northwest - but not here in my garden.What a
disappointment & will not be making another investment in these!




Kornus Florida Dogwood (yes, I know it isn't a good one for here) but bought
it online anyway.has never ever bloomed in the front yard. Conditions are
full sun & somewhat dry. So I figured I'd move the two trees into the back
where there is more shade and moisture. As I was digging it up, more like
tearing this one out - an entire root broke off. I planted it anyways &
let's see how it does. Was not happy where it was - so I have nothing to
lose.




This poor carpet rose Pink Supreme - ummmm, not really sure what to say
about it. Doesn't look promising - assume the pot caused the roots to
freeze?




Yep - this pretty variegated Hardy Evergreen Silver Sword Azalea isn't
looking like last years picture either.




Chinese Fringe Flower was supposed to be my prized purchase last year.





So I hope this helps you realize much of my garden is living by trial &
error. What works gets to come back & planted by abundance!

xoxo, Tracie

1 comment: