Create A Magical Christmas


Pinned Image

Well its time for me to get all in the Christmas spirit here on the blog. I have been busy at home creating decorations for the tree & last week I made a start on the christmas cake. So I thought today I would share my mum's christmas cake recipe with you in the start of my festive series. I wont be icing my cake until the weekend before so I will share a sneak peek of this nearer the time but for today heres the recipe....

Christmas Cake

Ingrediants:-
For the pre-soaking
350g sultanas
200g raisins
150g dried apricots, chopped
100g almonds, chopped
50g glace cherries
1tbsp light muscovado sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
1tsp each of ground nutmeg & cinnamon
Some sherry

For the cake
250g butter, softened
250g light muscovado sugar
250g self-raising flour
5 eggs, lightly beaten

Method:-
1 Put all the ingredients that need pre-soaking in to a bowl with a small cup of sherry & leave in the fridge over night.

2 Grease the tin & line with greaseproof paper

3 Preheat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas 2.

4 Put the butter and sugar in to a large bowl & mix then slowly  Sift in the flour and beat in the eggs until smooth, using either a whisk or a wooden spoon. Fold in the soaked fruit and nuts.

5 Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for around two and a half to three hours. Fruitcakes need to be baked at a low heat because they're dense.
6 Test to see if the cake is cooked by piercing the cake with a skewer – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.

7 To save the cake for Christmas, wait until it has cooled and wrap it in foil. Store in an airtight container for up to two months.



Here's what you need to get ready for the decorating stage:- 

            4tbsp apricot jam
            700g natural marzipan
            2tbsp sherry or rum
            700g royal icing or fondant icing
            Icing sugar to dust
            (cake decorations)

    For more christmas recipes why not pop on over to my
                  
                cookery Corner

for fabulous recipes you can make with the kids...or by youreself!








No comments:

Post a Comment