Ingredients for gingerbread Men
- 140g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp ground cinnaman
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 balls stem ginger from a jar, chopped
icing, sweets, glacer cherries..whatever you fancy
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C gas mark 6. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
2. Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Mix flour, soda, spices and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Stir in the butter mix and chopped ginger to make a stiff-ish dough.
3.Roll out dough to about 5mm thick. Stamp out gingerbread men, re-rolling and pressing the trimmings back together and rolling again.
4. Lift onto baking sheets & bake for 12 mins until golden. Cool 10 mins on the sheets, then lift onto cooling racks.
5. To decorate, mix icing sugar with a few drops of water until thick and smooth.
We also made a ginerbread house at the weekend, but I confess this was not from scratch it was actually a kit I brought from sainsburys (tut tut I know) it was the Dr Oetker kit & was very simple to use but there is many good ones out there .johnlewis.com/ do a Gingerbread House kit for £15.00 that comes in a cute box. The kids enjoyed decorating it & it tasted delicious.